In order to break into a career in Information Technology, you must start by laying a basic foundation of both skill and knowledge. IT is the backbone of virtually every business, especially in today’s world. This is why it’s so important for businesses to hire reliable and knowledgeable IT professionals who will keep operations running smoothly. There is a vast ocean of opportunities available to individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in this field, and equally so, there are many ways in which you can gain this foundation to get started.
Through NuPaths’ Foundations in Information Technology course, everyone, even those with little to no experience with technology, can begin to build their IT skills. The course is structured to ensure every student gains a solid foundation on which they can build their technology career. Keep reading to explore NuPaths’ Foundations in Information Technology curriculum, and learn how this could be a valuable next step in your career.
About Foundations in Information Technology
First, it’s helpful to think of Information Technology as a system, a combination of independent parts all working together to accomplish a certain goal. With this in mind, the Foundations in Information Technology course is designed to focus on the core IT disciplines including systems and services, network and security, scripting and programming, data management, and the business of IT. The various pieces of the course build upon one another, instilling knowledge and developing practical skills to lay a solid foundation.
Additionally, the course covers the basics of computer hardware, software, mobile computing, networking, troubleshooting, and emerging technologies. Students learn about configuring operating systems, file and folder management, networks and network configuration, and the role of the OSI model in networking and troubleshooting. The course also includes an exploration of cutting-edge technologies such as cloud computing and virtualization.
Beyond the Tech: Understanding Roles and Responsibilities
And more than just understanding how the various components of IT work together, it’s equally important to understand the role each person plays in the overall function of a business’s IT processes. The course intentionally focuses on teaching students about the various roles and responsibilities of IT jobs, describing which roles are necessary for the IT system to function efficiently and effectively. This focus includes the various administrative roles, the methodologies used by people tasked with developing new systems, and the ethical issues that must be considered by individuals involved with IT. Students will learn how IT supports and improves many aspects of an organization, including communication (both internal and external), resource sharing, cross-department integration, information management, security of organization and employee information, and organization adherence to ethical practices.
What You Can Expect to Gain
The Foundations in Information Technology course is part of all of NuPaths IT training programs: IT security analyst, technical support specialist, network technician, software testing analyst. And that’s by design! This course truly teaches you the fundamentals upon which everything else can be built. In just a few short months, here is everything you can expect to gain which will make you confident and qualified to secure an entry-level position in IT.
- Identify types of computers, how they process information and how individual computers interact with other computing systems and devices
- Identify the function of computer hardware components
- Identify the factors that go into an individual or organizational decision on how to purchase computer equipment
- Identify how to maintain computer equipment and solve common problems relating to computer hardware
- Identify how software and hardware work together to perform computing tasks and how software is developed and upgraded
- Identify different types of software, general concepts relating to software categories, and the tasks to which each type of software is most suited or not suited
- Identify fundamental concepts relating to database applications
Using an Operating System:
- Identify what an operating system is and how it works, and solve common problems related to operating systems
- Manipulate and control the Windows desktop, files, and disks; identify how to change system settings, install and remove software
- Set up a computer workstation and use basic software applications
- Explain the functions and types of devices used within a computer system
- Apply basic computer maintenance and support principles
- Describe some principles of software and database development
- Configure computers and mobile devices to connect to home networks and to the Internet
- Identify security issues affecting the use of computers and networks
Gain Experience With:
- Operating systems
- Anti-malware software
- Productivity software
- Browser software
- Backup software
- Wireless router/switch
- External storage
- Mobile devices
NuPaths’ Foundations in Information Technology is a certification course that is designed for individuals of all technology skill levels. The only prerequisite is that you come with an open mind and desire to learn. If you’re still on the fence about whether this could be the right career move for you, consider these six reasons why thousands of people have trusted NuPaths for their IT education.
- You will learn from professionals who are working in the industry. Our courses are taught by industry professionals who work with the technology they are teaching.
- You will earn multiple industry-recognized certifications which make you stand head and shoulders above other job seekers.
- Our 26-week programs are designed to help you start building the experience and professional network that will help you start your career and earn the income you want.
- We offer a wide variety of career paths to help you connect profession with passion.
- Whether online or in-person, you’ll develop technical skills, learn new software, and become comfortable with how technology supports business operations.
- We develop well rounded students. At NuPaths you will learn communication, critical thinking and how to work on a team.
You’re at an important crossroads, but don’t let the decision overwhelm you. We’re here to help! Take the first step today and talk with a Student Success Coordinator who can provide you with more information and answer any questions. Click here to learn more.